Monday, April 23, 2018

I Can't Draw

"I can’t draw." 
I can’t tell you how many times I've heard this comment.  First of all, everyone can draw.  You just don't think you draw well - whatever that means. Second, feeling like you can't is all the more reason to try! Isn't that what we teach our kids?  Set an example for them.  

The problem is that most beginning artists are hung up on realism and accurate reproductions of objects, landscapes, and people. Realism is only one style of art. If I wanted to look at a cup, I could get one out of my cupboard. I don’t need to look at an exact replica of a cup rendered in paint hanging on my wall. 

While the skill of realistic reproduction is impressive, I would much rather see someone’s impression of a cup, no matter how wonky. If I’m teaching a class with a cup as the subject, I would love to see twelve very different interpretations, and I love that one funky cup painting that stands out with it's originality. 

So you think you are a terrible artist?  I don’t believe it. Come out to one of my classes and show me. Then I’ll show you an exoressionist or abstract masterpiece worth more than a hundred thousand dollars that isn’t all that different. Besides, if we only do the things we are good at and don’t challenge our assumptions, we will never grow. You might have a hidden talent to reveal. It is better to paint flowers that look "flower-ish" than not to try to paint at all.  

Need more convincing? Check out the book, ish. It is disguised as a book for children but it shares a valuable lesson for all ages about appreciating your own artistic impression. If you're pressed for time, just watch to the video of the book. And do share it with your kids, so they never say, "I can't draw".  

No comments:

Post a Comment