Thursday, August 29, 2024

Please Don't Quit Making Art

Don't Quit Making Art
The Day I Decided to Quit Being an Artist
“He has no talent at all, that boy! You, who are his friend, tell him, please, to give up painting."
–--Manet to Monet, on Renoir---

This is an undisguised pep talk.  Honestly, it's encouragement I've had to give to myself a number of times.  I have been making a living as an artist for over 15 years. Obviously I wouldn't still be creating art if I didn't have a pretty darn good internal cheering squad to get me through the rough times and lean years.  

Let me tell you, I still have an art business, because I refuse to give up.  I have a stubborn amount of faith.  For me, faith isn't about sitting back on my heels and wishing for good fortune.  It's an unshakeable trust that things will work out followed up with decisive action towards making that happen.  It's more about believing in my ability to endure and stepping out of the way of my own momentum.  Self-sabotage and imposter syndrome are to be recognized and avoided.  You get where you hope to go by first believing, sometimes against all odds, that you have the means and will to get there.

Honestly there was at least one time when I decided this career choice was too difficult. Clients weren't knocking at my door.  I was working  long hours and weekends to keep the bills paid. There never seemed to be a period of coasting.   I decided I was done being an artist.   I proceeded to rid my house of the tools of my trade in order to start afresh. I gave almost all of my art supplies to a local art teacher.  I tossed over  thirty canvases into a dumpster.  

Who was I kidding?  I could toss objects in the trash but not my urge to create.  Being an artist is hardly a choice.  I might not be the best.  I might not become wealthy.  Heck, I might hardly make ends meet at times, but it is who I am. Am I going to give up and opt for a regular 9-5 job with stability and financial predictability?  I could, but my soul would simply wither. Not that there's anything wrong with choosing that route. You might find yourself in a position where you have to have that steady paycheck to fill the bank account. One thing's for sure - being in debt will not help your creative process.  But if that's the way the cookie crumbles, I hope you'll make your way back to art with a fierce determination.   

So, if you find yourself facing a slow period in your art career, buck yourself up, and quit waiting for opportunity to knock.  Understand that you can create your own opportunities.  Reach out for an online showing, and get your artwork out there for people to see.  Become more visible on social media and remind your network of your awesome skills.  Float a project idea to those in the position to provide funding.  Look for available art grants in your community. Before you know, it an opportunity will land in your lap, because you persevered and had the faith to try.  One last wise suggestion to consider, - develop a reliable side hustle which continues to pay the bills when other sources dry up. 

Don't give up. It may not be easy, but the most rewarding activities in life are rarely effortless. Believe.

Arianne

No comments:

Post a Comment